An American In Frankfurt

The ups and downs of relocating my family of five from the suburbs of Chicago to Frankfurt Germany.

Saturday, August 11, 2007

Laundry in Germany

Okay, I know I've mentioned before that I find it weird that I have to empty the water reservoir on my dryer after each load, just as I empty the lint trap. But there's much more to laundry in Germany that is different, and not entirely pleasing, as opposed to doing the wash back in the U.S.A.

I'll say it right at the start - I miss bleach. I didn't always use it, don't always need it, but when I want it, I want it. And the Germans don't believe in it. I can't find liquid bleach for the laundry or even a laundry detergent with bleach added. I'd be happy with a bleach pen for taking out tough stains, but no go. And for that matter, I really miss my Clorox Clean-up for cleaning the kitchen and bath. For me, nothing says my house is clean like the smell of bleach.

But, even beyond bleach, there are some definite disadvantages to the laundry system in Germany. The machines are generally much smaller than their equivalents in the U.S. Yes, I know German families are also generally smaller than U.S. families, but my U.S. family of 5 still makes a lot of laundry in Germany. I bought the largest washing machine they had at Media Markt, which isn't bad, but the dryer is still very small.

I know the dryer is smaller because many Germans don't dry their clothes in a dryer, or at least not all of their clothes. And now that my daughters are mostly all wearing junior sizes, most of their tops don't go in the dryer - especially those I've bought in Germany. So, I have a huge, German drying rack in the laundry room to accommodate all the clothes that don't go in the dryer.

The worst part of doing the wash, bar none, is the length of time it takes. When I do a load of whites, the machine clicks on for 2 1/2 hours!! Then, I move those whites to the dryer for another 2+ hours. I can't imagine it taking so long in the U.S. for one load of laundry. True, the delicate cycle isn't as long - but still well over 2 1/2 hours from start to finish. That's just crazy - with 5 people in the house, I can be doing laundry all day - everyday. Especially after we return from a trip - yikes!

Now, I will concede that it's possible that our clothes will last longer using the German washer & dryer - I don't know this for sure, but that's what I've been told and it seems possible to me. However, without bleach, there are many things that are irretrievably stained and have to get thrown out, so we have some attrition that we might not have in the U.S. And yes, I also believe that the German system is more energy efficient. It makes sense to me that we're using less energy and not heating the water as high as we do in the U.S., of course the cycle takes so much longer, I'm not sure how much energy is saved.

When I get back to the U.S., I may very well look for a front-loading washer, like my German one. I quite like that there's no agitator for clothes to get hooked on. And certainly my German washing machine uses much less detergent than my U.S. one does. But I want heat in my dryer again. There's nothing quite like taking soft warm clothes directly out of a U.S. dryer on a cold winter's day.

I know that Germans who work for dh's company and are moved to the U.S. can't wait to get back to Germany to use the German washer & dryer, because they think it's so much better and the clothes last so much longer. But I, for one, am definitely looking forward to getting back to my U.S. washer & dryer and being able to do a load in under an hour, from dirty to dry.

11 Comments:

Blogger Maria said...

Christina at An American Expat in Deutschland has a great list of products-- including cleaning and laundry products that contain bleach or are great stain lifters. You might enjoy her post-- http://cgeyer.blogspot.com/2007/07/household-and-personal-products.html

:)

11:50 PM  
Blogger Maria said...

I'm sorry. I do not think that link went through, but if you go to http://cgeyer.blogspot.com and look at her July 2007 posts, there is one titled Household and Personal Products.

11:52 PM  
Blogger Bek said...

I always thought that German washing machines have hotter water than American ones, because the machine is heating it up to the desired degrees instead of just taking hot tap water.

3:01 AM  
Blogger Mike B said...

Bleich = Bleach, and you can find it in Germany. We actually found a nice lavender-scented one in France, btw. And the German front loaders do give hotter water and do tend to get clothes cleaner ... they're also harder on coloured clothes than American top-loaders.

10:27 PM  
Blogger Mike B said...

I need to modify that last comment ... you probably won't find Bleich on the shelves, but you will find "Hygiene Reiniger" ... look for stuff called DanKlorix in blue bottles somewhere near the cleaning supplies in your local supermarket.

11:35 AM  
Blogger christina said...

Yep, as Mike says Dan-Klorix is actually bleach. And the extra time German washing machines take to do a load is because they have to heat up the water first IN the machine, so a load done at 30° will take less time than one done at 60°. U.S. machines have a separate hot water hose and the cold and hot water are mixed to get the right temperature.

Laundry seems to be such a HUGE production in Germany, doesn't it?

11:41 PM  
Blogger Martina said...

Barb,

bleach used to be hard to find, but it's become easier in the past few years.

"Bref Chlor-Reiniger" is bleach, and our local grocery store carries it, as well as a generic brand which is simply labeled "Chlor Reiniger" in black letters on a white background.

The Bref has little pictures showing various uses for it, one of them is a shining white dress shirt.

12:52 PM  
Blogger Carol said...

Oh! I'll need to add laundry to the list of things I won't miss about Germany. Thanks for the reminder! (A water reservoir? Why?!)

Carol

9:40 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

O je. Laundry is one of those things about Germany I didn't blink at, just adapted to. Haven't ever had a dryer here, just hang things on those racks. On occasional bad days, I realize how many aspects of daily life here cost so much more energy than they need to.

9:50 AM  
Blogger Tessa Enright said...

I empathize with you. I cannot believe how long the cycles take here. Who washes their clothes for 2 hours?! And I thought they used higher temperatures here than in the U.S., but I'm not sure.
I really do miss my dryer (we haven't bought one here because it is so expensive!) And I hate the fact that it takes twice as many loads to get done, since the washer is small.
www.tessa-enright.com
Photos and stories of the daily life and travels of an American girl in Germany

12:38 PM  
Blogger Trampadoo said...

Germans don't use much bleach for laundery because unlike US washing machines German ones don't make the clothes grey that fast. They are also a lot more hygienic. I found the US washing machines so disgusting. Yes, they are faster but only because they stew the clothes in the dirty, nasty cold water and they come out not only ripe with the stuff that was in your undies before but also become grey very quickly.

12:14 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas expatriate