An American In Frankfurt

The ups and downs of relocating my family of five from the suburbs of Chicago to Frankfurt Germany.

Wednesday, September 06, 2006

One Month in Frankfurt...


Well, it was a month ago today that we landed in Frankfurt and moved into our new home. We're still missing a few things, most notably TVs in both the family room and the girls' alcove, as well as my wardrobe - which is here but not yet built - and my car. But, all-in-all, I'd definitely say we're getting settled. I'm anxious to get the TV in the family room, as well as a rug, as we don't spend any time there as a family yet and I want us to get into that habit together. It's hard for us to gather around a laptop to watch a movie together. But, hopefully soon.

Meanwhile, I think we're all getting adjusted to living in Germany. We're making changes in our routines, in our selves, slowly but surely. I think it's a bit like water flowing over rocks- the changes occur, but so slowly you really don't notice them. After three years in Europe, we'll definitely be different people, but probably won't see how big the difference is.

There are a few things I've gotten used to already, even after only a month. For one, I always remember to empty the water out of my dryer after each load, just like the lint. Certainly something I never had to do in IL. It's become second nature to take empty bags with me when I head out to the store, nearly every day. I have a tiny bag in my purse that unfolds and can hold quite a bit, if I've forgotten any other bags, but I really ever do anymore. At first, it seemed really strange to see people walking through the mall with a box of milk or loaf of bread in their hands, no bag, but I've come to see that as normal, since it is here. Although I have to say, the dh thought it was strange to push the grocery store shopping cart all the way through the mall to our car in the underground garage last weekend. Just having a grocery store in the mall would be strange in IL, but it's really quite convenient.

It's not startling now when the metal shades on our first floor windows automatically roll down at 8 p.m. every evening, nor do I have trouble remember to close the shades that aren't automatic. I'm even good at keeping the front door locked all the time. The kids are getting used to needing to unlock the door when they get home from school, although as often as not, they ring the bell for me to let them in.

I think the kids are used to the different taste of the milk here, as opposed to skim milk in the US, but I can't say I like the 1 liter boxes. I used to buy 5 gallons at a time in the US, since we drink a lot of milk. Without a car, I have trouble keeping up with the amount of milk we drink versus how much I can carry in a single day. Fortunately, we bought a couple of cases last weekend and can do the same every weekend until I get my own car.

I'm comfortable using the U-Bahn (subway) system overall, although I still get somewhat lost changing trains to a different line, given the poor state of my German. I should be back in classes within the next week or two and am really looking forward to it. I needed to take a lot more German before getting here - what I've learned so far is woefully inadequate for day-to-day living.

There are definitely some things we're not used to yet as well. Sharp cheddar cheese doesn't seem to exist, although I finally found mild. So far, we also haven't found salted sunflower seeds, in the shell, which dd#1 loves. And no granola bars, which is a favorite of all 3 girls for snacks. I used to use a lot of bleach in cleaning and laundry, especially Clorox clean-up, but bleach is hard to come by here - they don't like the environmental ramifications of too many chemicals. It's hard to work around the store schedules - if the girls or the dh is needed for shopping, it has to be done on Saturday. Stores close between 6 and 8 p.m. during the week and don't open at all on Sundays. But, nothing too big, just minor adjustments so far.

Fortunately, things are going well at school and for dh at work. I'm looking forward to getting into the activities of the American Women's Club more regularly, so I can start meeting some English-speaking women. We are going swimming this weekend with another American family from the school - their 6th grade daughter is one of dd#3's new friends - so that will be nice. Plus, the other 2 girls are involved in social activities this weekend, so they are definitely getting settled in. Again, it's a slow process, but I definitely think we're moving in the right direction.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Expat Women—Helping Women Living Overseas expatriate